The Energy Savings for Business program (ESB) by Emissions Reduction Alberta (ERA) is open for submissions and has recently announced new funding limits, and an extension to the program submission timelines through March 31, 2023. This means that if you’re thinking about installing new lights or retrofitting your existing facility, it’s the perfect time to reach out to us for advice and assistance with the application process. As a registered eligible contractor with ERA, we can help manage your project – from pre-approval to installation!
Who can use it? The program is designed to help the 160,000 small and medium-scale businesses in Alberta transition to more energy efficient technologies, as well as address Alberta’s longer term sustainability goals. All businesses and non-profits serviced by an Alberta electric utility are eligible, with some exceptions.
What types of projects will be eligible? Gold Leaf Technologies specializes in lighting and control systems and can help you with the following projects eligible for ESB program funding, including, but not limited to:
- Lighting projects that include replacement of outdated lighting systems, addition of automation, etc.
- Installation of electronic building automation systems to control temperature, airflow, and even lighting across the facility
What funding is available? Energy Savings for Business is open for applications and will be providing funding for eligible Alberta businesses through March 2023:
- 25 per cent of all eligible expenses for lighting systems, CHP, and solar PV projects or 50 per cent for all other projects. Eligible expenses include equipment, materials, labour and design
- $250,000 for a project
- Incentive limit for parent companies has been doubled, from $500,000 to $1 million
- Minimum of $1,000 incentive amount
- Up to $55 million in incentives for the entire program
What measures are eligible? A number of lighting systems are eligible for up to a maximum of 25% of eligible expenses, including fixtures such as linear surface or suspended fixtures, or LED bay fixture replacements. Lighting controls, such as daylight and occupancy controls, are also eligible for up to a maximum of 50% of the eligible expense. See pages 14-19 of the ESP Program Measure List for more detailed information here.
Recent program measures as of December 2021 have been updated to include eligible LED agricultural top lighting categories from 1,000+ µmol/s to 1,000 – 2,000 µmol/s, and added a new measure for 2,000 + µmol/s.
How long does it take to receive my incentive? From the time ERA receives the necessary information required to process the post-project application, it takes approximately 4 to 6 weeks to process the application and pay the incentives.
*Note: links have been updated to reflect the most recent ESB documents.